Monday, November 1, 2010

Where did the CO2 Go?

We went without  CO2 for about a week as I needed to refill the tank I had and add a second (the welding shop that carries CO2 is about 50 miles away) since I have a dual CO2 regulator.  I traded my tanks at the welding shop early last week - it is a swap program, empties for refilled tanks - and hooked up the new ones to the dual regulator on .  I opened the valves on the tanks, and the regulator showed pressure so all was good....so I thought.

Coming back to the grow room an hour or so later I noticed a strange smell and immediately suspected CO2.  I went to the C.A.P. CO2 ppm monitor, and well, I don't want to tell you what it read, only that it  was probably deadly to humans.  I closed the valves on the tanks and got out the door fast leaving the door open so the room would clear. 

Upon my return I verified that the room was safe (C.A.P. ppm monitor back down to reasonable level but still high) and began to check on the tanks.  I sprayed the tank connections with a solution of dish soap and water to see if there were any leaks.  Bubbles started forming all over the top of one tank.  Unfortunately the leak can only be detected once the gas is on, not when the valve is closed.  Go figure.  Lesson learned.  I couldn't get back to the problem until yesterday. 

I rechecked all the o-rings on the regulator and they were all fine.  I ended up disconnecting the bad tank and am now running on one tank connected to the regulator.  Back to the welding shop for a trade in.  At least the plants are getting some CO2 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment